St James's Hotel & Club
St James's Hotel & Club
St. James’s Hotel and Club has been known for providing the highest standards of hospitality and service since it first opened its doors as a gentlemen’s chamber for the English aristocracy in 1892. The secret of this intimate and elegant London townhouse hotel lies partly in its unrivalled location, in a quiet cul-de-sac just off St. James’s Street in London, near the prestigious Mayfair. It is close to Green Park underground station; the exclusive shops and restaurants of Jermyn Street, the Burlington Arcade, Bond Street, the theatres and nightlife of the West End.Full hotel details
|Previous seven days 18 Apr - 1 May Next seven days 2 May - 15 May Fri 25 Apr||Sat 26 Apr||Sun 27 Apr||Mon 28 Apr||Tue 29 Apr||Wed 30 Apr||Thu 1 May||Fri 2 May||Sat 3 May||Sun 4 May||Mon 5 May||Tue 6 May||Wed 7 May||Thu 8 May|
Rates shown in British Pounds (₤) & are tax inclusive per room. Booking fees apply
|Book Jnr Suite AdvancePurchase||₤624||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||529||508||508||486||551||551||551|
|Book Jnr Suite Weekend Special||₤624||437||437||437||437||437||Sold||Sold||470||451||451||451||490||490||490|
|Book Junior Suite||₤624||546||546||546||564||546||Sold||540||588||564||564||540||612||612||612|
|Book Executive AdvancePurchase||₤509||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||421||400||400||378||443||443||443|
|Book Executive Room||₤509||426||426||426||444||426||Sold||420||468||444||444||420||492||492||492|
|Book Executive Weekend Special||₤509||341||341||341||341||341||Sold||Sold||374||355||355||355||394||394||394|
|Book Deluxe Advance Purchase||₤452||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||335||335||313||378||378||378|
|Book Deluxe Room||₤452||354||354||354||372||Sold||Sold||348||Sold||372||372||348||420||420||420|
|Book Deluxe Weekend Special||₤452||283||283||283||283||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||298||298||298||336||336||336|
|Book Superior Advance Purchase||₤417||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||302||302||281||346||346||346|
|Book Superior Room||₤417||318||318||318||336||Sold||Sold||312||Sold||336||336||312||384||384||384|
|Book Superior Weekend Special||₤417||254||254||254||254||Sold||Sold||Sold||Sold||269||269||269||307||307||307|
St James's Hotel & Club
- Things to do
- Related options
St. James’s Palace
The Palace was built with an adjoining park by Henry VIII on the site of a female leper hospital. Today, the only remaining parts from the Chapel Royal are the Gate house and Old Presence Chamber. After the Whitehall Palace was destroyed by a major fire in 1698, St. James’s became the principle royal residence in London.
After Whitehall Palace was destroyed by fire in 1698 St James's became the principle royal residence in London. George IV, who had been born at the palace, employed Nash to restore and redecorate it following the fire. The Chapel Royal, which has been used for a number of royal marriages, was enlarged in 1837 and some rooms have William Morris interiors.
The House was built in 1711 for the Duchess of Marlborough using only red bricks from Holland. In 1817 it came to the Crown and after being tenanted by various members of the royal family, it was, in 1852, provided by Queen Victoria to house a school of design.
When the school was removed to South Kensington, Marlborough House became the residence of the Prince of Wales (afterwards King Edward VII), who lived here from 1861 until his accession. It was in the garden of Marlborough House that he received the detachment of the Honourable Artillery Company of Boston that visited England in 1896. After the death of King Edward, Marlborough House was occupied by Queen Alexandra. It is now the residence of the Commonwealth Secretariat.
The construction of the Burlington House started in 1660s but was completed later by the first Earl of Burlington. It has been re-modelled twice, first for the 3rd Earl in Palladian style and then again for the 1815 for Lord Cavendish. In 1854 the Government bought the House for the Royal Academy. (A programme of changing exhibitions are held and free tours of the Fine Rooms are available at 1pm Tue-Fri. Tel 0207 300 8000).
The house was designed for the 1st Earl Spencer by John Vardy in 1756. It was later modified by Henry Holland and Philip Hardwick. After 1927 the Spencer family no longer used the house and it was rented to a number of tenants, but was leased in 1985 to the Rothschild Company which restored the house for £18 million. (Guided tours of the eight state rooms are available on Sundays (except Jan & Aug) Tel: 020 7499 8620).
St James's Church
The Church was built in 1674-86 by Christopher Wren for his friend Henry Jermyn. At the Restoration Jermyn had obtained permission from the King to develop the area known as St James's Fields. This new parish church was a rare instance in London when Wren worked on a new site. It has a lime wood reredos and a marble font both carved by Grin ling Gibbons. The spire was added in 1686 but rebuilt in 1699-1700 and replaced with a fibreglass replica in 1968. The church had to be restored after bomb damage at which time the churchyard became a garden of remembrance. It now provides a location for a market Wed - Sat 10-6 (antiques & collectables on Tuesday 8-6).
Members ClubsThe Athenaeum
The Club was first founded in 1824 by John Wilson Croker and began at the Royal Society in Somerset House. In 1830 it moved to Pall Mall where it adopted its present name, from that of a university in Rome.
The society was established by Edward Boodle in 1762 as a social and non-political club. It began in Pall Mall and moved to its present location in 1783. The house, with a beautiful fan window, was designed by John Crunden.
It was originated in 1974 by William Almack as a social and non-political club. It began in Pall Mall and moved to its present premises, designed by Henry Holland in 1778. It gained a reputation for heavy gambling and later became the Whigs' Club.
The Carlton Club
The Carton House was founded in 1832 when the Tories lost seats in the general election over the Reform Bill. It began in Carlton House Terrace and later moved to Pall Mall. These premises were demolished in 1854 when the club moved to St James's Street to a building designed by Sydney Smirke & George Basevi modelled on Sansovino's Library in Venice.
It is named after William Pratt a steward to the Duke of Beaufort. The Duke called into Pratt's house with some friends one evening and they enjoyed themselves so much they came back again and again. Only 14 of the 600 male members can dine at the single table in the basement and all the servants are addressed as George!
The Royal Overseas League
The Royal Overseas League was founded in 1910 for people of the Commonwealth and women were admitted from the beginning. It occupies Vernon House and Rutland House and has gardens overlooking Green Park. It supports the Arts and sometimes hosts exhibitions which are open to the public. Tel 020 7408 0214 or see notices outside.
The Travellers Club
The Club was founded in 1819 to reunite gentlemen who had travelled abroad (at least 500 miles from London). It begun in Waterloo Place but in 1828 acquired part of the grounds of Carlton House for new premises. The competition to design these was won by Charles Barry whose Italian Renaissance building was completed in 1832. It was restored in the 1950s after wartime bomb damage. On the ground floor are two morning rooms for ladies and a
ArcadesThe Burlington Arcade
Was designed in 1819 by Samuel Ware for Lord Cavendish, supposedly to stop passers-by throwing rubbish over the garden wall of Burlington House! It originally had 72 shops and was then London’s longest arcade. Another storey was added in 1911 and the Piccadilly entrance was redesigned in 1931. The north end was damaged in the Blitz but restored in the 1950s. Top-hatted beadles enforce its regulations against hurrying, singing and carrying large parcels. Beadles are ex-servicemen and were originally recruited from the 10th Hussars.
The Royal Arcade
Opened in 1880 and known as 'The Arcade' until 1882. The elaborate frontage still retains this original name together with a profile portrait of Queen Victoria. It suffered bomb damage in WWII but was repaired and painted in its striking colours.
Oxford St/Piccadilly/Mayfair/Mble Arch Hotels
Showing a selection of Oxford St/Piccadilly/Mayfair/Mble Arch hotels. Show All Oxford St/Piccadilly/Mayfair/Mble Arch
|Selected Hotels in Oxford St/Piccadilly/Mayfair/Mble Arch||Rating||Location||Prices From||Make a Booking|
|The Montcalm London Marble Arch||OXFORD STREET||from£204/night||Book & Pay Securely|
|No5 Maddox Street Hotel||MAYFAIR||from£220/night||Book & Pay Securely|
|Arch, London||LONDON||from£228/night||Book & Pay Securely|
|Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill||LONDON||from£230/night||Book & Pay Securely|
|Athenaeum Hotel||LONDON||from£244/night||Book & Pay Securely|
|Dukes, St James, London||LONDON||from£265/night||Book & Pay Securely|
|Langham, London||REGENT STREET, LONDON||from£288/night||Book & Pay Securely|
This page shows only a selection of Oxford St/Piccadilly/Mayfair/Mble Arch hotels. Show All