How do I get to Southbank from the airport?
The city has all the public transit you’d expect of a former capital, so getting to accommodation in Southbank on the cheap is easy. From Melbourne Airport (MEL), the SkyBus will take you 25km south to Southern Cross Station. From there you can hook up with the light rail to go wherever your heart desires. Or just take a cab from the airport, if that’s more your style.
What are the most popular Southbank hotels?
We get it. In this neighbourhood, everyone wonders at least a tiny bit where all the trendsetters are staying. Here’s where:
What kind of hotels are there in Southbank?
Want to live in luxury? Check. Prefer your home away from home to feel like, well, home? Apartment hotels in Southbank are your answer.
- The five-star Hilton Melbourne South Wharf is dressed to impress, with sleek rooms and the best linens this side of the Yarra. More than just a pretty face, it’s also got in-room spa services and a spot-on location connected to the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- At Cityviews 3 Bedroom apartment hotel, cook up a feast for the whole crew in the full kitchen, then relax on the rooftop terrace. It’s just like home, only better.
Where should I stay if I’m visiting Southbank?
You’ve already got one thing right—choosing Southbank accommodation in the first place. Now it’s time to get specific.
- The Langham is an easy stroll from the artsy side of town. At National Gallery of Victoria, look up! The Great Hall has one of the largest stained-glass ceilings in the world.
- Seasons Botanic Gardens is for the romantics out there. Wander hand in hand through the Royal Botanic Gardens, getting lost amongst the trees—and in each other’s eyes. Ahhh, love.
- Southbank Views is next to the light rail, for travellers who like to go, go, go. Check out the CBD, pick up some produce at the South Melbourne Market and still be back in time for dinner—made from that produce, in your very own kitchen.
What are some things to do in Southbank?
Everything! All that stuff we mentioned is just the beginning. With a Southbank hotel, fun is never far.
- What’s been around the world 17 times and lived to tell the tale? Old Polly Woodside. No, it’s not a person. This 19th-century cargo ship is retired these days, but still home to tons of treasures. Channel your inner swashbuckler and swagger on over—you’ll be “hooked”.
- Speaking of treasure, the Eureka Skydeck 88 has a gold-plated observation deck. Can’t get enough heights? Check out Sydney accommodation and hop over to the Harbour City to get your heart racing on the Bridge Climb.
- Get cultured at Arts Centre Melbourne, home to two opera companies, the Australian Ballet, the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and several theatre groups. Didn’t pack your top hat? Hamer Hall plays host to everything from reggae concerts to comedy.
Make like a pirate and hoard your booty for the fun stuff. Wotif’s Southbank packages let you bundle your hotel and airfares so you save the most cash. Book today—and bring us back the latest fashions, please!
Need insider tips on must-see attractions in Southbank? Check out our Southbank travel guide!