ADVERTISING SPONSORED LISTING
Enter dates to see availability
LCD TVs with satellite channels are featured in all 268 rooms, and you can enjoy free WiFi, free wired Internet and in-room childcare. Minibars provide refreshments, and in-room dining is easy with amenities like fridges and round-the-clock room service. Nice touches to enhance your stay include free toiletries and pillow menus. Free weekday newspapers, hairdryers and phones are also available.
A relaxing day at Absolute Bliss can include hot stone massages, body wraps and body scrubs along with Ayurvedic treatments and mani/pedis. The restaurant, Whitbys Restaurant, is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Additionally, you'll find free WiFi in public areas, a fitness centre and a conference centre. Buffet breakfast is available on weekdays between 6:30 AM and 10 AM and on weekends between 6:30 AM and 10:30 AM. There's also the convenience of valet parking.
Places within a 15-minute walk of this 4.5-star Wellington hotel include Te Papa (Museum of New Zealand) and Old St Paul's.
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor ratings based on 1,088 Verified Reviews
Guest reviews for James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
About the James Cook Hotel Grand ChancellorLocation 147 The Terrace, Wellington, 6011
Renovations + Closures
The property will be renovating from 01 November 2018 until 31 December 2020 (completion date subject to change). The following areas are affected:
- Selected guestrooms
The following facilities are closed seasonally every year. They will be closed from 25 December until 07 January:
Renovation work will only be conducted during working hours. Every effort will be made to minimise noise and disturbance.
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor offers its guests a full-service spa and a fitness centre. There are 2 restaurants on site, along with a coffee shop/cafΘ. You can unwind with a drink at one of the 2 bars/lounges. WiFi is free in public spaces. Spa services, tour or ticket assistance, and coffee/tea in common area are also featured at the luxury James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor. Parking is available for a fee. This 4.5-star Wellington hotel is smoke free.
- 268 guestrooms or units
- 14 levels
- 2 buildings
- 2 dining venues
- 2 bars or lounges
- Built in 1972
- Coffee shop
- Childcare (surcharge)
- Conference centre
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Dry cleaning
- Front desk (24 hours)
- Storage area for luggage
- Front desk safe
- Tour and ticket information
- Wedding services available
- Newspapers in lobby (free)
- Television in lobby
- No smoking on site
Family Friendly Amenities
- Family Property
- Free WiFi
- Babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi , Free wired Internet
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Long-term parking (surcharge) , Valet parking (surcharge)
- Airport: Wellington (WLG-Wellington Intl.) (8.2 km / 5.1 mi)
- Train station: Wellington Station (1.2 km / 0.7 mi)
- Parking: Valet parking and extended parking available for a surcharge
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor offers 268 forms of air-conditioned accommodation with minibars and complimentary newspapers. A pillow menu is available. LCD televisions come with satellite channels. Bathrooms include a combined bath/shower unit, complimentary toiletries and a hairdryer. This Wellington hotel provides complimentary wired and wireless Internet access. Business-friendly amenities include desks and telephones. Additionally, rooms include an iron/ironing board and blackout curtains. Housekeeping is provided on a daily basis.
- In-room dining (24 hours)
- LCD television
- Satellite channels
- Pillow options
- Shower and tub combination
- Housekeeping (daily)
- Weekday newspapers (free)
- Childcare in room (surcharge)
- Toiletries (free)
- Iron and ironing board
- Blackout drapes
- Air conditioning
- Ensuite bathroom
- Connecting rooms available
Food & Drink
For a fee, guests can enjoy buffet breakfast on weekdays from 6:30 AM to 10 AM and at the weekend from 6:30 AM to 10:30 AM.
Whitbys Restaurant – This restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar.
Sojourn Cafe and Bar – This café serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and light fare. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar. Open selected days.
24-hour room service is available.
- Hot stone massage
- Number of treatment rooms 3
- Couples treatment rooms
- Manicures and pedicures
- Body wraps
- Body treatments
- Body scrubs
- Facial treatments
- Ayurvedic treatments
- Check-in time ends at 2 AM
- Check-in time starts at 2 PM
- Minimum check-in age is 18
Special check-in instructions:
The property is renovating its guestrooms until December 2020 (completion date subject to change). For more details, please contact the property using the number provided on the booking confirmation email.
- Check-out by 11 AM
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Children stay free when using existing bedding.
- No pets allowed, but service animals are welcome
A credit card imprint is required at check-in. If a valid credit card cannot be produced, a $100 NZD cash bond must be paid at check-in.
Charges for extra guests may apply and vary according to property policy.
A cash deposit, credit card or debit card for incidental charges and government-issued photo identification are required upon check-in.
Special requests are subject to availability at the time of check-in. Special requests can't be guaranteed and may incur additional charges. The name on the credit card used at check-in to pay for incidentals must be the primary name on the guest room reservation.
- Only service animals are allowed
- Parking height restrictions apply
The fees and deposits listed below will be charged at the time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Fee for buffet breakfast: NZD 32 for adults and NZD 16 for children (approximately)
- Valet parking fee: NZD 30.00 per night (in/out privileges)
- On-site credit card charges are subject to a surcharge
This may not be a comprehensive list. Fees and deposits are subject to change and might not include tax.
- James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor Wellington
- James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
- James Cook Grand Chancellor Wellington
- James Cook Grand Chancellor
- James Cook Wellington
You should know
- Reservations are needed for spa treatments. For reservations, contact the hotel before arrival using the contact information on the booking confirmation.
- Connecting/adjoining rooms are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property at the number on your booking confirmation.
Awards & Affiliations
This property participates in EarthCheck, a programme that measures the property's impact on one or more of the following: The Environment, the community, the cultural heritage and the local economy.
Qualmark® assigns an official star rating for accommodation in New Zealand. This Hotel property has been rated 4 star plus, which is displayed on this page as 4.5 stars.
Official New Zealand Rating provided by Qualmark®