Swimming in oceanfront lagoons, going for a cable car ride through the jungle, drinking cold beer and eating fine seafood. That’s what you can expect when you go on holiday to the fifth-largest city in Queensland. We’re not kidding—the city of Cairns is that awesome. So what are you waiting for? Book one of the best boutique hotels in Cairns through Wotif and enjoy the goodness for yourself.
Out & About
Now that you’ve settled into one of our comfortable Cairns boutique hotels, it’s time for you to get the lay of the land. Yes, traveller, get out and explore your surroundings! From the waterfront section of town to the inland rainforests, this place has it all. Here are a few things we think you should do before heading back to reality:
- Cairns Wildlife Dome – It’s hard to go anywhere in this country without visiting some sort of animal park, so when you get to Cairns, go to the dome. This place is fantastic! Not only can you get up close and personal with some of Australia’s most well-known creatures, but there are exciting adventure activities to take part in. What are they, you ask? You can ride the Hi-Zoom zip-line over a crocodile pit home to a big fellow named Goliath. You can also climb the exterior of the dome and take hundreds of photos guaranteed to blow up your Instagram feed.
- Skyrail Rainforest Cableway – Who doesn’t like riding in a cable car high above the jungle canopy? People you don’t want to be associated with, that’s who. This 7.5km ride runs over the treetops of Barron Gorge National Park and offers unbelievable views of the surrounding area. Once your ride is over, go for a bushwalk along the wooden footpath at Red Peak Station. You might catch a glimpse of sleepy koalas lounging in the trees.
- Cairns Esplanade Lagoon – If you want to mingle with the locals and make new friends, throw on a pair of swimming trunks and make your way down to the artificial lagoon. Located right on the ocean, this manmade water feature is a perfect substitute for when the local beaches are infested with dangerous creatures, like man-eating saltwater crocodiles and tiny jellyfish that can make you miserable for days.
Food & Drink
You’re gonna love spending time at Cairns boutique accommodation. Yes, it’s wonderful and comfortable and all that fluffy stuff, but you’ve got to eat at some point. Whether that be at fancy Michelin-starred restaurants or quick meals at fast food joints, this city has it all. Here’s a few places you should consider when you’re ready for a meal and a few liquid libations:
- Restaurant M Yogo – Some of the best seafood in the area comes out of this restaurant’s kitchen. And if you don’t believe us, just order up the grilled Tasmanian salmon with mixed olive sauce…or get the sautéed tiger prawns with a rich garlic cream sauce. Finish off the meal with a ridiculously tasty fluffy cream cheese soufflé cake. Yes, it’s as good as it sounds. Save us a slice.
- Rattle ‘n Hum – If you’re looking for a traditional Aussie pub experience, this is the place to find it. The friendly staff is more than happy to bring you schooner after schooner of cold beer and hot plates of delicious food.
- Cairns Night Markets – Before retiring to one of our great boutique Cairns hotels like Island Views, be sure to stroll through the night markets. They operate every night of the week and are a great way to sample local food and beer, as well as to go souvenir shopping. Get yourself a henna tattoo before gorging on a meat pie and sucking down a cold Blue Sky brew.
It’s about time you checked out of reality for a bit and took a well-deserved holiday to Far North Queensland. Browse Wotif’s fine selection of boutique hotels in Cairns and book one like the Sarayi Boutique Hotel now. You never know what you’ll find up north!