How do I get to Katherine from the airport?
The closest airport to town is Katherine Tindall Civilian Airport, 22km from the city centre. There’s limited flights in and out of town, or you can take a train. If a scenic road trip appeals to you, book car hire and drive from Darwin through the countryside to your Katherine accommodation.
What are the most popular hotels in Katherine?
What kind of hotels are there in Katherine?
There’s all kinds of Katherine hotels to choose from. You’ve got everything from budget inns to eco-resorts and backpacker hostels. Check out these awesome ones below. You’re sure to find one you like:
- Knotts Crossing Resort is set amongst acres upon acres of beautiful tropical gardens. Go for an early morning stroll along the banks of the Katherine River before enjoying a cup of coffee and a bowl of fresh fruit by the pool. This place is your perfect home base for launching expeditions into Nitmiluk National Park.
- The Beagle Motor Inn is your go-to-place if you’re travelling on a budget. You’ll also be located near the town centre so you can walk to restaurants, watering holes and souvenir shops.
Where should I stay in Katherine?
It doesn’t matter if you’re taking an extended Katherine holiday or you’re just passing through; there’s something here for everyone. You can stay in town and mingle with the locals or head into the bush and stay at an eco-resort.
- Cicada Lodge: Located in the thick bush along the cliffs above the Katherine River, this place is a joint venture between the Indigenous Business Australia (IBA) and the Jawoyn people. Wake up with a native Australian breakfast consisting of bush tuckers and locally grown fruit. After that you’ll be fuelled for a day of bushwhacking.
- St. Andrews Serviced Apartments: This is where you want to be if you’re looking for a home away from home. All the apartments include a 265-litre fridge/freezers, a 4-burner stovetop, microwave and dishwasher. And if you feel like making a pizza pie, head to the pool area, where a fully functional pizza oven is just waiting for you to craft a masterpiece.
- Palm Court Budget Motel & Travellers Dorms: Hostels have been a mainstay for travellers since the beginning of time. Well, maybe not that far back, but you get the picture. There’s possibly no better place to meet new people from all corners of the world than at a backpacker’s hostel.
What are some fun things to do in Katherine?
There’s something special about this former bush outpost. The natural beauty of it is hard to ignore and impossible not to experience. Are you ready to leave the comfort of your accommodation in Katherine for the wilds of the Northern Territory? Let’s get started.
- Lace up your best pair of hiking boots and head into the heart of Nitmiluk National Park. Make your way through the stunning Katherine Gorge until you come to Edith Falls. Go for a refreshing swim to wash off all the dirt you’ve collected on your hike.
- When you’re ready to explore the space underneath this wonderful land, head to Cutta Cutta Caves National Park. There’s two caves that are open for public tours and are beyond amazing. You’ll weave down pathways that lead you around towering stalagmites while ghost bats buzz your head.
- When your adventures in the great beyond are over, head back to town for a soothing glass of Australia lager. Cheers to you!
You’ll have no problem assimilating into the slow, relaxing life of the country when you book a Katherine hotel through Wotif. But if you’d like to get a taste of civilisation again, take that car hire you obtained and make the drive north to the coast, where our incredible Darwin hotels are awaiting your arrival.