While the Snowy Mountains continue to be a family favourite these school holidays, it is Western Sydney which is proving to be an increasingly attractive family destination according to Wotif.com.
The vibrant and accessible city of Parramatta is rivalling the Sydney CBD for NSW travellers these school holidays, coming in as the fifth most popular destination in the NSW*, with significant growth also seen for surrounding suburbs including nearby Sydney Olympic Park.
Wotif Travel Expert, Amanda Behre said:
- “At Wotif, we’re seeing strong demand for Western Sydney accommodation with Parramatta our fifth most popular NSW destination these July school holidays. When we compare this to the last four years, Parramatta has jumped up nine spots from number 13, to 5. In fact, our data shows that Parramatta is proving to be more in demand than Sydney’s beachside suburbs such as Bondi and Manly and holiday favourite Port Macquarie.”
- “Sydney Olympic Park is also experiencing significant growth, with year-on-year accommodation interest on Wotif up over 45%**. No doubt this is thanks to the fantastic shows and Kids in the Park program that offers some of the best and most affordable school holidays activities in NSW.”
- “It’s a great sign for the region, proving you don’t necessarily need to head to the inner-city to entertain the kids over the break. From sports to entertainment, there is so much on offer across Western Sydney for kids of all ages to enjoy these school holidays. Plus, of course if you do want to go into the city, Parramatta is an easy train or ferry ride away.”
- “With plenty of hotels and apartments in the area and a predicted family accommodation rate of $259***, Parramatta is great option for families these school holidays, plus it’s nearly 5% cheaper than staying in the Sydney CBD***.”
Top Western Sydney school holiday activities:
- Featherdale Wildlife Park – Featherdale Wildlife Park are running a Kids Go Free Promotion this July, making it one of the best NSW school holiday activities. For every paying adult, three children are allowed into the park these school holidays, with a full schedule of presentations and up-close encounters for the kids.
- Winterlight Festival – Taking place over the holidays, the festival showcases Parramatta as a Winter Wonderland including an ice skating rink, food stalls, a bar, workshops and lighting installations.
- Disney on Ice - 100 Years of Magic – Taking place at Qudos Bank Arena in the last week of the school holidays, this is a must-see that the whole family will enjoy.
- Kids in the Park – The annual Kids in the Park program at Sydney Olympic Park offers a number of indoor and outdoor activities for varying family budgets.
- Parramatta Park – A picnic and play in Parramatta Park is another good option to keep the kids entertained, with flying fox, slides, swings and trampolines at Domain Creek Playground.
- Riverside Theatre Parramatta – Frozen Sing-A-Long – Not much can compare with a screening of Disney’s Frozen with lyrics on screen to help the kids sing along with Anna and Elsa.
- Ends -
For more information or to arrange an interview, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Based on NSW accommodation demand on Wotif.com for family travellers for the corresponding school holiday period from 2015 – 2018.
- 2018 destinations are based on searches from 1 January 2018 to 2 July 2018 for travel dates from 7 July – 21 July 2018.
- 2017 destinations are based on searches from 1 January 2017 to 1 July 2017 for travel dates 1 July – 15 July 2017.
- 2016 destinations are based on searches from 1 January 2016 to 1 July 2016 for travel dates 2 July – 18 July 2016.
- 2015 destinations are based on searches from 1 January 2015 to 26 June 2016 for travel dates 27 June – 12 July 2015.
**According to Wotif.com accommodation searches from 1 January 2018 to 1 June 2018 for travel dates from 7 July 2018 to 21 July 2018, compared to accommodation searches from 1 January 2017 to 25 June 2017 for travel dates 1 July 2017 to 17 July 2017.
***Based on the average daily rate for 3 – 5 star-rated and self-rated accommodation demand on Wotif.com between 1 January 2018 and 5 June 2018 for travel from 7 July 2018 to 21 July 2018 for the described destinations. Prices shown are in Australian dollars, booked on the Australian site and are not necessarily the rates displayed on the site. Rates are subject to accommodation and date selections made.
****All deals are subject to availability and may be discontinued without notice. Discount not available on all room types. Savings (correct at 9:00am AEST, 2 July 2018) are subject to change and may vary depending on selections made. Blackout periods and minimum length of stay applies for some properties. Check applicable travel dates, prices, availability, hotel offer and restrictions and conditions at https://www.wotif.com/lp/deals/big-city-sale. Savings are calculated off standard rate supplied by hotel for stated travel window.
Wotif.com has been Australia’s go-to online site for travel since it launched in the Year 2000. Wotif offers travellers access to millions of rooms, hundreds of airlines and thousands of destinations both locally and around the world, with real hotel reviews from more than 9 million travellers, including more than 1.5 million Australians. Travellers can also access special package savings if they combine a hotel and flights in the same booking on Wotif.com.
Get Social with us!
© 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners.