Victoria and Queensland Border Opening Announcement:
- In just a few short hours following the announcement that the Queensland border will open to Victoria from 1 December 2020, Wotif.com has seen Queensland travel interest from Victorian travellers spike by over 180%.
- Hours before it was officially confirmed, the anticipation from Victorians was high with interest coming through from the early morning on Wotif.com. In the last 24 hours, Wotif.com has seen Queensland travel interest from Victorian travellers spike by over 120% when compared to the week prior.
New South Wales and Queensland Border Opening Announcement
- New South Wales travellers continue to embrace the forthcoming Queensland border opening, with travel interest for Queensland on Wotif.com spiking by close to 175% in the 24 hours following the premier’s announcement.
- This follows the huge surge in travel interest Wotif.com saw yesterday, just a few short hours following the announcement. By 1pm yesterday, travel enquiries for Queensland from New South Wales travellers jumped by over a huge 140% on Wotif.com, when compared to the same time the week prior.
Trending QLD destinations with NSW travellers
Trending QLD destinations with VIC travellers
1. Port Douglas – interest up over 290%
1. Gold Coast – interest up over 195%
2. Gold Coast – interest up close to 225%
2. The Whitsundays – interest up over 185%
3. Cairns – interest up over 200%
3. Port Douglas – interest up over 185%
4. The Whitsundays – interest up over 185%
4. Cairns – accommodation interest up close to 170%
5. Sunshine Coast – interest up over 160%
5. Sunshine Coast – interest up close to 150%
6. Brisbane – interest up close to 160%
6. Hervey Bay – interest up close to 140%
7. Hervey Bay – interest up close to 100%
8. Townsville – interest up over 100%
9. Brisbane – interest up close to 95%
 Based on QLD accommodation interest from VIC travellers on Wotif.com between 12am – 11am AEST on 25 November 2020 compared to 12am – 11 am AEST on 18 November 2020.
 Based on QLD accommodation interest from VIC travellers on Wotif.com between 24 November 2020 - 25 November 2020.
 Based on QLD accommodation interest from NSW travellers on Wotif.com between 24 November 2020 - 25 November 2020
 Based on QLD accommodation interest from NSW travellers on Wotif.com between 12am - 1pm AEST on 24 November 2020, compared to 12am - 1pm AEST on 17 November 2020.
 Based on QLD accommodation interest from NSW travellers on Wotif.com on 24 – 25 November 2020, compared to 17 – 18 November 2020.
 Based on QLD accommodation interest from VIC travellers on Wotif.com on 24 – 25 November 2020, compared to 17 – 18 November 2020.
Commentary and further insights from Wotif Managing Director, Daniel Finch
- This is the moment the East Coast has been waiting for and initial Wotif.com data confirms the appetite for cross border travel is incredibly strong. Destinations across Queensland are proving popular, with the Tropical North, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast topping the list for both New South Wales and Victorian travellers.
- Without a doubt, many families and friends are looking to reunite and connect with one another after months of separation and a Queensland holiday is a fantastic way to do that – offering value for money and incredible travel experiences.
- Queensland has long been one of Australia’s favourite travel destinations and now is the time for the state to shine. Just in time for the border opening, Wotif’s Wot a Sale promotion runs from now until Monday, with savings of up to 30%* available on a range of domestic Australian accommodation, so it’s the perfect time for Aussies to take advantage of the great travel discounts on offer and make the most of this exciting time.
- We know there is a big job ahead to support the tourism industry, not just in Queensland but right across the country and with Christmas just a few weeks away, we hope this provides a much-needed boost for operators. As we head into the warmer months, there’s no better time to get back out there and book a holiday that gives back. From the regions to the capital cities, Australia is brimming with incredible experiences that are sure to provide Aussies with a much-needed break, as the end of year approaches.
- Our advice for travellers is to ensure your booking includes built-in flexibility, like flexible cancellation or reserve now, pay later options, which will not only help with peace of mind if government advice changes, but also means travellers can snap up a great deal, knowing they’ve got the flexibility to change if needed.
– Ends –
For further enquires please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Sale period 23 November 2020 – 23.59pm on 1 December 2020 in the applicable property’s time zone for select stays between 30 November 2020 – 30 November 2021 inclusive. Savings correct as at 6:00PM 19 November 2020, are subject to change and may vary depending on selections made. Discounts are applied to the standard rate of select hotels, as determined and supplied by the hotels. Blackout periods may apply, and a minimum hotel stay may be required. Offers are subject to availability and may be discontinued without notice. Prices displayed will include the applicable promotional discount. Travel restrictions and conditions apply. See https://www.wotif.com/lp/b/wot-a-sale?pwaLob=wizard-hotel-pwa for applicable travel dates, prices, availability and hotel offer restrictions and conditions. Wotif standard booking terms and conditions apply https://www.wotif.com/lp/lg-terms.
Important note regarding COVID-19 and Travel: Before booking, travellers should consult the latest government restrictions for the area in which they wish to travel. Travellers should be mindful that government restrictions are in constant review and travel guidelines may change between booking and travel.
Wotif… it’s Aussie For Travel. Wotif offers travellers access to accommodation, flights, packages, activities and car hire both locally and overseas, with verified accommodation reviews from almost two million Australian and New Zealand travellers.
2020 has had its fair share of curveballs but the one thing that’s remained the same, is that Australia’s a pretty top place! Whether it's a weekend getaway or a week-long escape, 2020 is the year to rediscover Wot a Country Australia truly is!
Get Social with us!
© 2020 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners.