Palm Valley Outback Safari 4x4 Day Tour
4.7/54.7 out of 5
- Adventurous 4-wheel-drive tour around Alice Springs
- Watercolour paintings in the Aboriginal town of Hermannsburg
- Unique sandstone formations & rare, prehistoric relic plants
- Shifting colours & afternoon light at the MacDonnell Range
- Tasty picnic lunch amid Finke Gorge's primordial landscape
Sorry this activity isn't available on Thu, 21 Sept
What's included, what's not
Know before you book
- Children 1 and younger are complimentary.
- If you are 17 or younger you must be accompanied by a paying traveller over 18 years.
- At least 6 people are required for this activity to take place.
- Hotel pickup is 15–60 minutes prior to the booked tour start time.
- Entry into Finke Gorge National Park is free
What you can expect
Explore the natural wonders beyond Alice Springs on a 4-wheel drive adventure into Finke Gorge National Park. Admire the Aboriginal art collection at Hermannsburg, see spectacular rock formations by the Finke River, and check out prehistoric relic plants in Palm Valley on this full-day tour.
Your 4-wheel driving adventure begins at the historic Aboriginal community of Hermannsburg. While you sip on a cup of tea, admire the art collection here, especially the watercolours of famous Aboriginal painter, Albert Namatjira—the Hermmannsburg School is an art movement known for western-style landscapes that celebrate the colours of the outback.
Next, travel down the banks of the Finke River—often called the oldest river in the world—into the aptly named Palm Valley, the only place in Australia where unique red cabbage palms survive thanks to spring-fed pools. Look out for the remarkable formations in the red sandstone, including the rugged cliffs and towers of a rocky amphitheatre. Keep your eyes peeled for native plant life amid the sands and pools, including fern-like cycads and relic plants that have persisted since prehistoric times.
Break for a tasty picnic lunch amid the primordial wilderness of Finke Gorge National Park. As you return to your hotel, watch the magical, shifting colours of the magnificent West MacDonnell Ranges in the afternoon light.
Cleaning and safety practices
Enhanced cleanliness measures
- High-touch surfaces cleaned and disinfected
- Vehicles and venues cleaned with disinfectants
- Vehicles and venues kept vacant between travellers
- Contactless ticket redemption
- Temperature checks given to staff
- Masks and gloves provided
- Hand sanitiser provided