Nelson - Tasman Food, Wine & Beer
Nelson Tasman is packed with things to eat and drink, from budget bites to wine from local vineyards. What do they all have in common? They're completely delicious, that's what.
In the mood for a beer tasting? A wine tasting? Or just some thoroughly amazing food? No matter what your taste-buds are craving, the eating and drinking scene in Nelson Tasman has you covered. With its beautiful vineyards, lush countryside, fish-filled rivers and a coastal location, this part of New Zealand's South Island is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to producing ultra-fresh, ultra-tasty gastronomic delights of all kinds. You don't need to wonder if you'll eat well here; you only need to worry where to begin.
And that's where we come in. Our list of top foodie picks from the region rounds up some of the very best things to do in Nelson Tasman for thirsty and hungry visitors:
- It's no surprise that some of Nelson Tasman's finest cheap eats come from fish and chip shops. Try Milton Street Gourmet Takeaway & Café in Nelson City for a start.
- Down in Blenheim, Arbour offers up chic, modern meals in a trendy setting. And this is wine country, so drink up!
- Jester House in Motueka is almost as renowned for its postcard-perfect, kid-friendly adventure gardens and pond full of friendly eels (yes, really) as it is for its fresh, local menu.
- With over 20 wineries, cellar doors and vineyards in the region, you'd better waste no time in getting down to tasting.
- Hit several wineries in one go with a fun wine tour. You can cycle, pile into a minibus for a group tour or splash out on a private tour with your own driver.
- Fossil Ridge, in the Richmond Foothills, is just one of the many great choices within easy reach of Nelson City. Bonus: they grow olives here too. And they're great.
- Nelson Tasman is the self-described craft beer capital of New Zealand, and it's hard to argue with that. There are more than 10 craft breweries in the area.
- This is the only place in New Zealand where hops are grown - so when we say this beer is local, we really mean it.
- Hit the Nelson Beer Trail, taking in breweries and pubs all along the coast from Kaiteriteri to Nelson City. Solve that pesky designated driver problem by joining a tour.