The latest news, data, research and insights from Wotif.com
Leading online travel website, has crunched the numbers revealing now is the best time to book your Christmas and summer travel regardless of whether you’re travelling within Australia or further afield*.
Not only is June one of the cheapest times to travel in Australia, new data from leading online travel site Wotif.com, reveals the June long weekend is the cheapest long weekend of the year to travel in New South Wales, with a predicted average accommodation rate of $197 per night*. In fact, according to Wotif, a June long weekend getaway is over 10% cheaper than an October long weekend getaway*.
With Australia Day around the corner, leading online travel site Wotif.com has today revealed the winners of the inaugural Wotif Australian Town of the Year awards. In the true Aussie spirit of giving everyone a fair go, the awards unearth the ‘must-see’ local towns across the nation in 2018.
With half of all Australians (49%) looking to make their next trip a local one and two thirds of us seeing domestic travel as a way to reinvest in the local economy**,the awards, based on a Wotif pricing and demand index*, call out the local hotspots which should be on every Aussie bucket list this year.
So, who took out Australia’s number one place in 2018?
In the lead up to Australia Day, where we come together to celebrate all things Aussie, leading online travel site Wotif.com have searched far and wide and put the vote to the people of this great nation to name the top towns to try some unique experiences you can only find in Australia.
Whether you’re a foodie who enjoys a humble meat pie or cheeky glass of award winning Shiraz, or a nature lover looking to experience everything our great southern land has to show, Australia offers travellers an abundance of experiences. This Australia Day, Wotif.com wanted to look beyond the well-known hotspots, to call out the towns that make Australia great.
1. Top Wine Region: Margaret River, WA
· Two thirds of us see a holiday in Australia as an opportunity to reinvest in the local economy and support regional or rural communities
· Over half of us opt for destinations which allow us to pursue passions – food topping the list!
· Over a quarter of us take a trip to learn more about ourselves
· 96% of Australians feel recharged after a holiday, yet their post-holiday recharge feeling only lasts an average of 3.2 days
· Taking a mini-break in spring revealed as the optimal time to recharge the batteries
· Over two thirds of Australian workers experience greater tolerance in the workplace after a holiday
· Aussie interest in Ho Chi Minh City doubles (195%)
· Families seek cool respite with demand for Mount Buller up 45%
· Queensland remains Australia’s favourite home-away-from-home
SYDNEY, 19 June 2017: While Queensland’s pristine beaches remain the most popular mid-year holiday choice, this year’s Wotif.com July school holidays data reveals Aussie families are beginning to buck the trend, with Australian ski fields in for a bumper season, and an increased interest in warmer climates overseas.
Sydney, 6 April, 2017: With the Easter long weekend around the corner, leading online travel site Wotif.com has revealed the ten most popular New South Wales holiday destinations, with the Central Coast claiming the number one spot in the state and nabbing the sixth position nationally.
According to Wotif.com the most in demand New South Wales Easter long weekend destinations, ex capital cities*, are:
1. Central Coast (#6 nationally)
2. Byron Bay (#7 nationally)
3. Wollongong (#8 nationally)
4. Hunter Valley (#9 nationally)
6. Blue Mountains
6 April, 2017: With the Easter long weekend around the corner, leading online travel site Wotif.com has revealed the most in demand Queensland holiday destinations, with the Gold Coast taking out number one spot at both state and national levels.
The most in demand Queensland regional Easter long weekend destinations*, according to Wotif.com are:
1. Gold Coast (#1 nationally)
2. Sunshine Coast (#2 nationally)
3. Cairns (#4 nationally)
4. The Whitsundays (#5 nationally)
5. Port Douglas
*Full national list can be found below.
Press Centre Contacts
If you’d like to request an interview or want additional travel insights, please contact our local PR team and we'll be happy to help: PR@wotif.com
Press Centre Search