A luxury stay in the heart of Wellington awaits you at this hotel. Within steps you'll find Wellington Cable Car and Beehive within a 10-minute stroll. Highlights at this family-friendly property include 2 restaurants, 2 bars/lounges, and a full-service spa.
LCD TVs with satellite channels are featured in all 268 rooms, and you can enjoy WiFi, wired Internet, and in-room childcare. Minibars provide refreshments, and in-room dining is easy with amenities like refrigerators and round-the-clock room service. Free weekday newspapers, in-room massages, and hair dryers are also available.
About the James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor offers its guests a full-service spa and a fitness center. There are 2 restaurants on site, along with a coffee shop/cafΘ. You can unwind with a drink at one of the 2 bars/lounges. A computer station is on site and WiFi is available in public spaces for a fee.
There are 8 meeting rooms available. The luxury James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor also features tour/ticket assistance, coffee/tea in a common area, and concierge services. For a fee, parking is available.
This 4.5-star Wellington hotel is smoke free.
- 268 guestrooms or units
- 14 levels
- 2 buildings
- 2 dining venues
- 2 bars or lounges
- 8 conference rooms
- Built in 1972
- Coffee shop
- Childcare (surcharge)
- Conference center
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Dry cleaning
- Front desk (24 hours)
- Storage area for luggage
- Front-desk safe
- Tour and ticket information
- Wedding services available
- Computer for guest use
- Newspapers in lobby (free)
- Television in lobby
- No smoking on site
Family Friendly Amenities
- Family Hotel
- Babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
- Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
Available in all rooms: Wireless internet access ( NZD 10 per 24-hour period ), Wired internet access ( NZD 10 per 24-hour period )
Available in some public areas: Wireless internet access ( NZD 10 per 24-hour period )
Long-term parking (surcharge), Valet parking (surcharge)
- Airport: Wellington (WLG-Wellington Intl.) (8.5 km)
- Train station: Wellington Station (1.2 km)
- Parking: Valet parking and extended parking available for a surcharge
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor offers 268 air-conditioned accommodations with minibars and complimentary weekday newspapers. LCD televisions come with satellite channels and pay movies. Bathrooms include shower/tub combinations, complimentary toiletries, and hair dryers.
In-room wired and wireless high-speed Internet access is available for a surcharge. Business-friendly amenities include desks and phones. Additionally, rooms include irons/ironing boards and blackout drapes/curtains. Housekeeping is offered daily and in-room massages can be requested.
- In-room dining (24 hours)
- LCD television
- Satellite channels
- Movies for purchase
- Shower and tub combination
- Cribs (free)
- Rollaway beds (surcharge)
- Housekeeping (daily)
- Weekday newspapers (free)
- Childcare in room (surcharge)
- Massage in room (surcharge)
- Hair dryer
- Toiletries (free)
- Iron and ironing board
- Blackout drapes
- Air conditioning
- Ensuite bathroom
- Connecting rooms available
Food & Drink
For a fee, guests can enjoy buffet breakfast daily from 6:30 AM to 10 AM.
Whitbys Restaurant - This restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar. Open daily.
Sojourn Cafe and Bar - This café serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and light fare. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar. Open select days.
24-hour room service is available.
Recreational amenities at the hotel include a fitness center.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or nearby; fees may apply.
- Kayaking nearby
- Sailing nearby
- Mountain biking nearby
- Scooter/moped rentals nearby
- Golfing nearby
- Ecotours nearby
- Golf lessons available nearby
Infuse Spa has 3 treatment rooms including rooms for couples. Services include hot stone massages, massages, facials, and body wraps. A variety of treatment therapies are provided, including Ayurvedic.
The spa is open select days.
- Hot stone massage
- Number of treatment rooms 3
- Couples treatment rooms
- Manicures and pedicures
- Body wraps
- Body scrubs
- Ayurvedic treatments
- Body treatments
- Facial treatments
If you need to make special requests for accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when booking your stay.
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time starts at 2 PM
Minimum check-in age is 18
Check-out time is 11 AM
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Children 12 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for NZD 50 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- No pets allowed, but service animals are welcome
Charges for extra guests may apply and vary according to property policy.
A cash deposit or credit card for incidental charges and government-issued photo identification are required upon check-in.
Special requests are subject to availability at the time of check-in. Special requests can't be guaranteed and may incur additional charges.
- The name on the credit card used at check-in to pay for incidentals must be the primary name on the guestroom reservation.
- Fee for buffet breakfast: NZD 31 per person (approximately)
- Fee for in-room wireless Internet: NZD 10 per 24-hour period (rates may vary)
- Fee for in-room high-speed Internet (wired): NZD 10 per 24-hour period (rates may vary)
- Fee for wireless Internet in public areas: NZD 10 per 24-hour period (rates may vary)
- Valet parking fee: NZD 29 per night (in/out privileges)
- Rollaway bed fee: NZD 50 per night
- Onsite credit card charges are subject to a surcharge
- James Cook Chancellor
- James Cook Chancellor Hotel
- James Cook Grand
- James Cook Grand Chancellor
- James Cook Grand Chancellor Hotel
- James Cook Grand Chancellor Wellington
- James Cook Hotel
- James Cook Hotel Grand
- James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
- James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor Wellington
- James Cook Wellington
You should know
Children 12 years old and younger stay free in the same room as the parent or guardian when using existing bedding. Connecting/adjoining rooms are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property at the number on your booking confirmation.
Awards & Affiliations
Qualmark® assigns an official star rating for accommodations in New Zealand. This Hotel property is rated 4 star plus and is displayed on this page as 4.5 stars.