A luxury stay in the heart of Wellington awaits you at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor. Within steps you'll find Wellington Cable Car and Beehive within a 10-minute stroll. Highlights at this family-friendly hotel include 2 restaurants, 2 bars/lounges, and a full-service spa.
LCD TVs with satellite channels are featured in all 268 rooms, and you can enjoy WiFi, wired Internet, and in-room childcare. Minibars provide refreshments, and in-room dining is easy with amenities like refrigerators and round-the-clock room service. Free weekday newspapers, in-room massages, and hair dryers are also available.
About the James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor offers its guests a full-service spa and a fitness center. There are 2 restaurants on site, along with a coffee shop/cafΘ. You can unwind with a drink at one of the 2 bars/lounges. A computer station is on site and WiFi is available in public spaces for a fee.
There are 8 meeting rooms available. The luxury James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor also features tour/ticket assistance, coffee/tea in a common area, and concierge services. For a fee, parking is available.
This 4.5-star Wellington hotel is smoke free.
- 268 guestrooms or units
- 14 levels
- 2 buildings
- 2 dining venues
- 2 bars or lounges
- 8 conference rooms
- Built in 1972
- Coffee shop
- Childcare (surcharge)
- Conference center
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Dry cleaning
- Front desk (24 hours)
- Storage area for luggage
- Front-desk safe
- Tour and ticket information
- Wedding services available
- Computer for guest use
- Newspapers in lobby (free)
- Television in lobby
- No smoking on site
Family Friendly Amenities
- Family Hotel
- Babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
- Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
Available in all rooms: Wireless internet access ( NZD 10 per 24-hour period ), Wired internet access ( NZD 10 per 24-hour period )
Available in some public areas: Wireless internet access ( NZD 10 per 24-hour period )
Long-term parking (surcharge), Valet parking (surcharge)
- Airport: Wellington (WLG-Wellington Intl.) (8.5 km)
- Train station: Wellington Station (1.2 km)
- Parking: Valet parking and extended parking available for a surcharge
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor offers 268 air-conditioned accommodations with minibars and complimentary weekday newspapers. LCD televisions come with satellite channels and pay movies. Bathrooms include shower/tub combinations, complimentary toiletries, and hair dryers.
In-room wired and wireless high-speed Internet access is available for a surcharge. Business-friendly amenities include desks and phones. Additionally, rooms include irons/ironing boards and blackout drapes/curtains. Housekeeping is offered daily and in-room massages can be requested.
- In-room dining (24 hours)
- LCD television
- Satellite channels
- Movies for purchase
- Shower and tub combination
- Cribs (free)
- Rollaway beds (surcharge)
- Housekeeping (daily)
- Weekday newspapers (free)
- Childcare in room (surcharge)
- Massage in room (surcharge)
- Hair dryer
- Toiletries (free)
- Iron and ironing board
- Blackout drapes
- Air conditioning
- Ensuite bathroom
- Connecting rooms available
Food & Drink
For a fee, guests can enjoy buffet breakfast daily from 6:30 AM to 10 AM.
Whitbys Restaurant - This restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar. Open daily.
Sojourn Cafe and Bar - This café serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and light fare. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar. Open select days.
24-hour room service is available.
Recreational amenities at the hotel include a fitness center.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or nearby; fees may apply.
- Kayaking nearby
- Sailing nearby
- Mountain biking nearby
- Scooter/moped rentals nearby
- Golfing nearby
- Ecotours nearby
- Golf lessons available nearby
Infuse Spa has 3 treatment rooms including rooms for couples. Services include hot stone massages, massages, facials, and body wraps. A variety of treatment therapies are provided, including Ayurvedic.
The spa is open select days.
- Hot stone massage
- Ayurvedic treatments
- Number of treatment rooms 3
- Couples treatment rooms
- Manicures and pedicures
- Body wraps
- Body scrubs
- Body treatments
- Facial treatments
If you need to make special requests for accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when booking your stay.
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time starts at 2 PM
Minimum check-in age is 18
Check-out time is 11 AM
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Children 12 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for NZD 50 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- No pets allowed, but service animals are welcome
Charges for extra guests may apply and vary according to property policy.
A cash deposit or credit card for incidental charges and government-issued photo identification are required upon check-in.
Special requests are subject to availability at the time of check-in. Special requests can't be guaranteed and may incur additional charges.
- The name on the credit card used at check-in to pay for incidentals must be the primary name on the guestroom reservation.
- Fee for buffet breakfast: NZD 31 per person (approximately)
- Fee for in-room wireless Internet: NZD 10 per 24-hour period (rates may vary)
- Fee for in-room high-speed Internet (wired): NZD 10 per 24-hour period (rates may vary)
- Fee for wireless Internet in public areas: NZD 10 per 24-hour period (rates may vary)
- Valet parking fee: NZD 29 per night (in/out privileges)
- Rollaway bed fee: NZD 50 per night
- Onsite credit card charges are subject to a surcharge
- James Cook Chancellor
- James Cook Chancellor Hotel
- James Cook Grand
- James Cook Grand Chancellor
- James Cook Grand Chancellor Hotel
- James Cook Grand Chancellor Wellington
- James Cook Hotel
- James Cook Hotel Grand
- James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
- James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor Wellington
- James Cook Wellington
You should know
Children 12 years old and younger stay free in the same room as the parent or guardian when using existing bedding. Connecting/adjoining rooms are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property at the number on your booking confirmation. Set meals are served in guestrooms only (no menus or public dining).
Awards & Affiliations
Qualmark® assigns an official star rating for accommodations in New Zealand. This Hotel property is rated 4 star plus and is displayed on this page as 4.5 stars.